'

Photograph taken by yours truly in eastern Washington state at sunrise, 2004

Tuesday, June 29, 2010

When's the Next Race?

How is it that I have already become a distance walking addict?

Here I am, two days after a fantastic half marathon.  I'm anxious to get out and do that again!  I'm actually pretty happy today with how I'm physically feeling.  Already, my legs feel better and aren't giving me any grief.  The only thing that's stopping me from doing a 3 mile walk is an unpleasant blister on my foot (eww).  Guaranteed, when that's healed, I'll be out there once more!

I have to remind myself that it was the motivation and encouragement of my co-worker friends that greatly contributed to making that half marathon so enjoyable.  As with anything, having a support system can go a long way.  It was great to share and hear about the training updates and stories.  And they did wonderfully themselves in the 13.1 race - I was very happy for them!  And I admire anyone who can run an entire race.  Me?  I'm much more comfortable walking!  But it's still an accomplishment.  We're already talking about doing another half marathon and some smaller races, expanding the fun to others in our office.  It makes me incredibly thankful.  Shared experiences make life much more satisfying and energizing.

Although less critical to the training and the half marathon, music was also an important motivational piece.  I decided against posting my playlist of 49 songs from start to finish.  That's a lot to type, and some of the music was slower for the beginning of the half marathon, which pretty much was just ear candy for me!

Instead, here are my "Top Ten" songs on my playlist that put an extra spark to my steps!

10. Kelly Clarkson - "Walk Away"
9. Genesis - "Land of Confusion"
8. Coolio - "Sumpin New"
7. Survivor - "Eye of the Tiger"
6. Moxy Fruvous - "Psycho Killer" (don't try to match the insane tempo at the end, though!)
5. Huey Lewis & The News - "Back in Time"
4. The Beatles - "Get Back"
3. Bush - "Machine Head"
2. The Wiseguys - "Start the Commotion"
1. Dropkick Murphys - "I'm Shipping Up To Boston" (LOVE this!!!)

Peace out for now!

1 comment:

  1. Love it! :) I can't wait for the next race...that is not the weekend my friend is tying the knot, so I might be in...maybe hehe. Good songs, and it was great to have you motivating me also!

    ReplyDelete