'

Photograph taken by yours truly in eastern Washington state at sunrise, 2004

Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Bring It!

I am so excited that I've registered to walk the UnitedHealthcare Half Marathon in Newport, Rhode Island at 8am on Sunday, October 17, 2010.  I officially began my training on July 21.  This time, I'm able to adhere to the recommended time frame of training (I've read that 12-16 weeks is standard) over the course of 13 weeks.  It's essentially 3 miles twice a week on Wednesdays and Fridays, cross-training twice a week on Mondays and Thursdays, and a gradually increasing long-distance walk once a week on Sundays.  Tuesdays and Saturdays are my rest days.  In a couple weeks, the bi-weekly 3 miles will increase to 4 miles.

Today I was only two seconds shy of breaking my pace record of 13 minutes 39 seconds per mile - SO close!  Thus far, I'm happy to say I've had no pain anywhere in my body - unlike for the last half marathon when sore knees and shin splints were very common during my training.  I've done the necessary stretching before and after every walk, and I've chosen not to jog this time around - at least for now.  So these could all be contributing factors to my pain-free training.  From my last half marathon, the blister I got on the bottom of my foot finally healed after three weeks.  Actually, it's technically still there and occasionally gets a little irritated, but it's generally good.  My two black toenails are still quite black, and I expect I will lose both nails eventually - perhaps in another month or so. 

I think the biggest challenge for my training will be the fact that with my job we'll be in the middle of Resident Assistant staff training mid-to-late August and then we're opening the residence halls in late August/early September (hard to believe we're one month away exactly from the day that our halls open to first-year students).  It's going to be a very busy schedule with long days, and there may be some mornings or late evenings where I won't want to walk.  But I will walk!  It's a good feeling to walk on a regular basis, and I've found my energy level is usually higher on those days that I walk (long-distance walk days the exception; I'm exhausted those days, and that's legitimately going to be a bit of a concern). 

A little more about the half marathon: The UnitedHealthcare Half Marathon is actually part of the Amica Marathon - same day and location.  The marathon was ranked as the 4th best marathon in the country last year.  The half marathon route is almost entirely along the water, which is AWESOME.  :)  Though somewhat hilly, it's nowhere near as steep as my last half marathon in the Blue Hills Reservation.  Plus, Newport is just a beautiful area.  So I'm pumped.

P.S. - I've lost 10 pounds since early May.  That's a good thing.  Now I'd like for my body to stop losing the weight and stay steady.  A semi-sincere apology to those who are upset that I have this dilemma. 

I'll keep you updated on all the training. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment