'

Photograph taken by yours truly in eastern Washington state at sunrise, 2004

Thursday, October 28, 2010

New Aquarium Friends

The mourning period is over.

Obviously, that's a bit tongue-in-cheek.  It's been a couple weeks since Sergeant Pepper, my oft-pregnant dalmation molly fish passed.  I thought it time now to make some changes to the aquarium.

Today, I gave away another ten or so dalmation molly babies to the local pet store, which still leaves another ten younger babies in the tank.  And then I went to Petsmart and bought two new additions for my aquarium!

Until now, I've only had artificial plants, so I decided to invest in a moss ball plant.  They're pricey little things at $7.99 a piece.  I just got one, but I figure it'll add some more life to the tank, improve the water quality, and provide a little food to my fish.  As I've got nothing better to do tonight, I'm quite creatively naming this plant "Mossy."

"Mossy" the moss ball plant (the babies are already enjoying it)
The other new addition is a plecostomus fish.  It's essentially a small algae-eating catfish.  You know those creepy somewhat ugly fish that stick themselves to the side of an aquarium, with their big sucker mouths? ;-)  That's what I got!  He's good to have though, as algae has started to grow on the glass, on the plants, and the gravel.  He'll clean that up.  I've dubbed him "Putt-Putt."  I really have no good reason for naming him that, but I think it's hilarious.

"Putt-Putt" the Pleco
Lastly, Wiseguy - my silver lyretail molly - is definitely not a guy.  I think Wiseguy's pregnant.  Starting to look just like Sergeant Pepper did.  Not good!  I am SO over all these baby fish! 

These molly fish are such floozies.  That's right!  I said it.

1 comment: