'

Photograph taken by yours truly in eastern Washington state at sunrise, 2004

Monday, November 22, 2010

Gut Feelings: Seeing it in Writing

A few weeks ago, I decided that it would be helpful to read a biographical book written by someone with some form of an intestinal condition.  I was tired of feeling alone in my condition; anything relevant with depth would hopefully meet my needs.  I came across a book called "Learning Sickness: A Year with Crohn's Disease," which I picked up at the local library.  It's a relatively short book, 187 pages, written by an English professor working at Assumption College in Worcester, MA.  The author, James M. Lang, was diagnosed with Crohn's disease in 1996 when he was a graduate student and new father.

Before I go on, I want to clarify that I personally don't have Crohn's disease.  I didn't state what condition I was born with in my previous post.  While I have no intention of describing my condition in depth at least for the time being, due to the stigma surrounding it, if you are so inclined you can read more about what I was born with (high I.A.).  It's tough to even reveal that!  But based on the positive responses I've received so far, I feel just open enough to share the link.

While Crohn's disease is very different categorically to high I.A., there are just enough similarities in symptoms, to the point that I felt a distinct connection to Jim Lang.  Crohn's disease is a chronic inflammatory bowel disease that is very painful.  The disease affects different parts of the gastrointestinal tract, and its impact varies greatly between individuals affected by it.  Crohn's tends to "come and go," in the sense that it can go into remission and flare up again for weeks, months, or years at a time.  Bowel movements are frequent and nearly uncontrollable.  There is no "cure" for Crohn's disease.  Crohn's can be treated, though, and if caught early, the lifetime impact can be lessened.

Jim Lang's book focuses mostly on one year of his life in which his disease was at its worst.  His book moves forward and backward in time, as he discusses when he was first diagnosed with Crohn's and recalls other significant times in his life that were negatively (or positively) affected.  I felt most emotionally connected to Jim's story when he discusses the bad moments and close calls of having "accidents."  Most people really have no clue of the major stigma associated with these. 

There were two major points that stuck with me from Jim Lang's book: a) patient advocacy and b) religiosity among those with chronic illnesses. 

Without a doubt, it's critical when you have a chronic illness to be your own best advocate in the medical system.  Doctors are not always right, and you will likely know your own body better than any doctor would despite the most advanced technology.  When you're in conflict with a doctor's suggestion or opinion, and you absolutely know you're right, you have to stand up for yourself.  With that said, doctors definitely have access to all of the tools and training to help you.

Jim's other point - that he believes many people with any kind of chronic illness are religious people - was intriguing to me.  Certainly, if you're dealing with a lot of pain and suffering that you know won't go away throughout your entire life, you may look to a higher power.  I myself am not religious by any means, but I consider myself a spiritual person (I'm drawn to the philosophies of Taoism and synchronicity - but that's for perhaps another post!).  I was an atheist up until the time I had my first bowel obstruction in 2000.  The combination of the trauma I experienced, along with the love that I felt from my friends and parents, made me think a lot more about what it means to be alive.  Life is truly amazing and worth cherishing and reflecting upon.

I do think that Jim Lang over-sentimentalizes some things in his book.  There are other factors that come into play in the way he deals with Crohn's disease, and those factors won't necessarily be as relateable to others with Crohn's or other intestinal disorders. 

But the major sticking point about his book is that he wrote his thoughts and feelings down about what it's like to deal with his disease.  As far as I know, there are no other biographical books about Crohn's, though there are quite a few practical and medical books on the topic.  His book hits home, and you see the humanity that overshadows the disease.

That's what is missing for people born with I.A.  No one, to my knowledge, has written a book or even a lengthy, in-depth description of what it's like to deal with the consequences of this throughout life.  Someone should do that.  Part of me would love to attempt a book, though I'm not sure if my personality lends itself well to such a long-term endeavor. 

As I begin to hear from new parents with children born with I.A. - and even from other adults like myself - it's becoming all too clear that we've got to break through the stigmas and barriers.  We're not alone.  The stories need to be shared.  Let's talk about things.  Let's see it in writing.

5 comments:

  1. No, we are not alone...for over 40 years, I've thought that I'm the only one that dealing with this condition. Thank you for your boldness with this blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the information about the Crohn's book. I'll be looking for it, as I am just starting down the chronic gut pain road. BTW, I found you from the PTN site. I'm another PTN Adult.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really appreciated this frank post. Thank you! My son, who is 4 1/2, was also born with high I.A. It is every mother’s dream for her child to grow up with a high self esteem and confidence and every day I think of how I can help him accept himself as he is and not feel the need to be ashamed or secretive. I am sure the emotional road ahead of him will have its bumps and potholes, but the way can only be made smoother by advocacy and awareness of the issues that you, my son, and many others face. The only way we can make the future better is by making this private issue just a little less private!

    I really enjoyed reading through some of your past posts, btw. You can check us out at dustinandlaura.blogspot.com. Keep up the fantastic writing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Laura, I apologize for the delay in responding to you! Thank you so much for your comments. I checked out your blog today - what a story you recently wrote about your son's situation at the hospital! I enjoyed the sense of humor you put into writing about it. Your son seems like such a character. :) I'll keep reading to hear how things are going. Have you found a support system in Japan?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Mike! We have been pretty lucky to find a great support system here. A week after arriving, we had the fortune of connecting with a woman who was training to become a Japanese/English medical translator. She offered to translate all of Theo's medical records and find doctors for him just to get a chance to practice. Our doctors are fantastic and speak fluent English, which is great since my Japanese is not the best. Meanwhile, we have met some really great people who I know would do anything they could if some sort of medical emergency came up. It is hard not having family around or feeling like I can 100% communicate Theo's complications or needs for school, but everything is going much better than we anticipated. It would just be nice if there was an organization like PTN here!

    ReplyDelete