'

Photograph taken by yours truly in eastern Washington state at sunrise, 2004

Saturday, February 12, 2011

Trying A New Work-Out

In an effort to expand my work-out routine from just jogging/walking, I went to a local sporting goods store today on the search for free weights and a kettlebell.  Admittedly, my original plan went astray.  I was a little overwhelmed by the selection there, and I decided that I'd go for something I'd never imagine myself purchasing.  An "As Seen on TV" work-out called KettleWorx.  It features cardio, core, and resistance routines on DVD using a light weight kettlebell.  They vary in weight from five to 20 pounds.  I thought kettlebells are supposed to be heavy, but these are not... well - so I thought until I actually did a work-out this afternoon.  This is designed to be done three times a week for 20 minutes each, over the course of six weeks.  First cardio, second core, and third resistance.  Then you repeat the next week, and supposedly it gets more intense over time.


I went with the ten pound kettlebell, but now I'm thinking a five pound weight probably would have been better for starting out.  The first routine is cardio (though it felt like strength training, too).  It consists of a warm-up, two sets of a variety of exercises, then a cooldown.  I honestly had to press the pause button after every couple of exercises, because I was either completely out of breath or shaking from muscle fatigue.  Yep, I might have to go back tomorrow and get the five pound weight.  I really enjoyed the cooldown period!  Ultimately, it took me about an hour instead of just 20 minutes and for that I'm a little ashamed although I did do the exercises. 

So on Monday, I'll move on to the "core" work-out.

Also, tomorrow - I plan on going for a brisk walk.  Something that has me slightly worried is that despite taking a very long break since my last jog (and sprint) on Monday, my shins are still bothering me.  Sometimes they ache, and sometimes they give me a little jabbing sharp pain.  I think I probably injured myself overdoing things.  But five days of no cardio (aside from the intense KettleWorx work-out) has been a little disheartening.  So a short two-mile brisk walk tomorrow is on the agenda.

Over and out.

No comments:

Post a Comment