'

Photograph taken by yours truly in eastern Washington state at sunrise, 2004

Sunday, April 24, 2011

A Quick Little Update!

I thought I'm a little overdue for an update on all the walking and shin stuff, so here I am spreading the cheer on this Easter Sunday!

I've been in physical therapy for the last three weeks, and it's been great.  They started with flexibility and range of motion with my muscles and joints along my feet, ankles, and legs.  At the first appointment, they told me I was underdeveloped in just about everything which had surprised me a bit as I always thought I took good care of my legs.  But it's amazing how many muscles you don't really use effectively and how bad your posture can be without knowing it.

Last week they re-measured everything and found I improved in just about all aspects; my ankles' range of motion is now normal and even a little better than that.  They're continuing much of the flexibility exercises but now they've added balance and strength training, particular on my core.  I asked them what my core had to do with my shins, and it pretty much has everything to do with them.  By strengthening my core, I'll have more balance, improved posture, and I should find it's easier to speed walk and perhaps even run.

They've also been doing electro-stimulation of the muscles around my shins, and that's a cool experience.  Somehow it reduces the inflammation and in turn lessens the pain.  Inflammation and pain are cyclical with each other, so the goal is to put a stop to that cycle.

The weather today is terrific - sunny and 72 degrees around noon.  Though I'm really sleepy because of a busy night on duty as the RD on campus, I couldn't resist putting my sneakers on and going outside for a walk.  First I did some of the stretching exercises I learned, then I went out and briskly! walked 2.4 miles at a 14:09 min/mile pace.  That's pretty close to what I was doing at my first half marathon last June.  This was the first time I walked over two miles since February, and it was nice to do a true brisk walk.  The fantastic thing is I had no shin pain, with the exception of a little achiness after the 2 mile mark.  That's perfectly okay.

I felt like I was smiling ear-to-ear on my walk the whole time.  I genuinely feel elated at my progress.  I can sense the endorphins flowing today.  With the amount of stress and roller coaster emotions I've encountered in a variety of personal aspects the last few weeks, I think my return to brisk walking will finally put some balance back into my life.  In a figurative and literal sensitive, I'm working on strengthening my core.  Woot!

No comments:

Post a Comment