'

Photograph taken by yours truly in eastern Washington state at sunrise, 2004

Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Staying Positive

I was thinking today about how we are constantly in crisis with ourselves between positivity and negativity.  Our emotions and attitudes are always in flux.  I can have days where a terrible mood sets in that creates a barrier around me, pushing others away.  I don't like those days.  Yet they happen, and they pass.  On other days, I feel like I'm taking the high road, intrinsicably hopeful and nonjudgmental.  I think both are absolutely natural.  Ultimately, you are your own best friend and your own worst enemy.  And almost without fail, you have the choice and the ability to decide which you'd rather be.  I hope I lean toward the former.  I'd rather feel empowered to choose, and to choose the right path for myself.  Doing so also makes the rest of the world a brighter place.

And so with that, I refer to a poem that I wrote perhaps around 2002.  It is a message of optimism and empowerment.  The biological references in the poem might make a few snicker or even feel a bit uncomfortable.  But whenever I read this poem over again, I feel secure and certain that I am where I presently should be.  I hope it might help you, too. 

A Chosen One

Who are you to belittle your existence?
Who are you to waste your life away?
Why should you destroy your future?
How can you sit there so depressed?

When the scene was set years ago
Where one of a million eggs lay
Where one of a million sperm prey
And the combination of those two
Where chance beats everything
Where anyone could be created
Where the odds, so unimaginably unthinkable
Were against you
At that moment, you were given a chance
A chance to show what you've got

So don't say life is unfair
Don't complain about the petty things
Don't ignore the beautiful things in life

For the odds were in your favor all along
You were meant to be
Don't question your existence
Be happy you are the one of millions
You are a chosen one.

1 comment:

  1. You make a great point, also I like your poem! Very inspiring!

    ReplyDelete