'

Photograph taken by yours truly in eastern Washington state at sunrise, 2004

Friday, September 24, 2010

Walking Update!

Forrest Gump once said, "Those must be comfortable shoes.  I bet you could walk all day in shoes like that and not feel a thing."

Well, I don't think I could walk all day in any shoes and not feel a thing.  But I know I was not feeling comfortable in my Brooks size 10 sneakers.  Too often, I have been getting blisters and black toe nails.  I'm sure the sneakers were fine, but they didn't fit right for me.  So, based on a recommendation from a friend from work, I stepped into Marathon Sports in Norwell, MA this afternoon aiming to find a pair of new sneakers!

The guy who helped fit me did a great job.  I'm a strange bird when it comes to sizing for shoes because I've been gifted with a significant shoe size difference among my feet - size 10 for my left foot... size 8.5 for my right foot.  It makes life difficult finding the right pair of shoes.  There are some deals out there for "mixed pair" shoes, but the guy at Marathon Sports told me he could find me the right pair of shoes without that hassle.  After the fitting routine, I ended up with the Nike Air Zoom Structure Triax +11 shoes, in a size 10.5.  I think the slightly larger shoes will help cut down on the issue of black toenails and blisters.

I splurged at the store a bit.  Thanks to the rave review I've heard from my friend Erin, I decided to get the Nike + iPod Sport Kit.  It's like a fancy high-tech pedometer that hooks up to your iPod.  A sensor goes into a specially designed pit in the inside sole of my new Nike sneakers.  Then I connect a small "receiver" into my iPod nano that detects the sensor as I walk.  Now my iPod actually talks to me as I'm walking, telling me how I'm doing in terms of distance, time, and pace.  It's not the annoying GPS voice, but a pleasant motivating voice.  Then at the end of the walk, the results are analyzed and put into a cool chart on my computer.  Pretty awesome!  If you follow me on Facebook, you'll probably start seeing all the crazy data it spits out onto my profile.

Also, if you're a walker (or a runner), don't you hate all the stuff in your pockets bouncing around?  I know I hate it - especially my cell phone!  I purchased an Amphipod Micropack Satellite that clamps onto the waistband of my pants/shorts.  Plenty of space for the phone, keys, and ID.  And the last thing I got was a long-sleeve bright orange "wicking" shirt.  All the shirts I have for walking are short-sleeve.  The weather's getting cooler, so soon I'll need a good long-sleeve shirt designed for all that sweating! (eww)

I walked four miles this afternoon with everything above (except for the long sleeve shirt), tested it all out, and I loved it!  Can you believe I'm now just about three weeks away from my UnitedHealthCare half marathon in Newport, RI on October 17th?  Oh, I can't... so pumped for it!  Check out the course map. Training-wise, this Sunday is my weekly long-distance walk, and it's the longest one - 10.5 miles (hey, that matches my shoe size!).  From Sunday on, the tapering begins - shorter training distances.

Stay tuned.

1 comment: